These are so easy to make and nutritious. My kids eat them up. Taste just like a snickerdoodle cookie. You got to try it.
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 400?F. Spray bottoms only of mini muffin pan cups with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl; mix well and set aside.
- For muffins, combine flour, oats, sugar and baking powder in large bowl; mix well. In small bowl, combine milk, egg, margarine and vanilla; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle topping evenly over tops of muffins.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm.
These muffins were delightful without all the guilt. I used a cup of whole wheat and 1/2 all purpose. This makes a lot of cinnamon/sugar topping. I used a little less than a tsp. per muffin and stored the rest for other uses. I did not have a problem with the topping falling off or the muffins being dry. I got exactly 12 regular sized muffins and baked them for 12 minutes. I let the batter and topping sit after they were in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes to soften the oats and to give the topping a chance to get into the batter. These are a new favorite. Thanks for posting!
Great recipe! Quick and easy to make, tasty and nutritious. I used Egg Beaters and half and half whole wheat pastry flour and all purpose flour and it worked fine. Next time I will try applesauce instead of butter since I didn't find the flavor especially buttery. Mine were just a touch dry but I expect it's because I baked them a minute or two too long. Next time I will add some more vanilla and some cinnamon into the batter, but this is a very good recipe as it stands. No way it could make 24 muffins, though. I barely had enough batter for 12 standard size (smallish, even) muffins. Would be great as mini-muffins though. Thanks!
These were delicious!!! They are so high and fluffy. I will make them again and try to put some blueberries in. Thank you!