Snickerdoodle (Coffee) Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- Make topping by mixing 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cut in shortening to a fine grain.
- In a separate small bowl beat egg, then pour in milk and mix together.
- Beat into dry mixture with minimum of strokes.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm.