Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a favorite in my family. If you like the cookies, you just die for the coffee cake. Best when served warm.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (melted)
- 1 egg
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, milk, margarine and egg.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8 or 9 inch square pan.
- Sprinkle top heavily with sugar. (This gives a crusty top.).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
I changed a few things, so take my review for what it is. I reduced the sugar to 1/3 of a cup and upped the spices to 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp allspice, 1 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp ginger. And I used an extra egg and oil instead of the melted margarine. Then I poured 1/2 the batter in the pan and added a layer of skor bits before adding the second half of the batter. I also used cane sugar for the topping to give it a bit more of a rustic feel.
This coffee cake was just what I wanted... It was delicious... Now I did make a few changes 1) I used sugar substitute (trivia) ... Texture in the cake was still light and fluffy. 2) for the topping I used brown sugar mixture on top ... Brown sugar and trivia.... This cake is light and fluffy and perfect for tea and coffee
This is a tasty treat, simple and comforting. Good emergency dinner dessert or breakfast coffeecake. Very good.