Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Excellent way to get some veggies into our picky little darlings. Can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months. When the kiddies were small I used to blend the veggies before adding to the sauce "so they couldn't see them" Excellent diabetic choice as well.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup grated zucchini
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 28 ounces no-sugar-added tomatoes in puree
- 14 1⁄2 ounces no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In large saucepan crumble turkey and cook over medium-low heat stirring until turkey is white throughout.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, zucchini and garlic.
- Continue to cook stirring until veggies are limp.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and using spoon to break up whole tomatoes.
- Bring to simmer and cook partially covered over medium-low for 30 minutes stirring often.
- Serve over any cooked pasta.
We have a lot of veggies from our garden and this recipe was perfect. I used fresh tomatoes all the way. I simmered mine for several hours so the tomatoes would have a chance to really cook down and thicken. I skipped the turkey and made meatballs separately. We really enjoyed this sauce and will definately make it again. Thanks!
OK, so I changed alot, but this recipe was a great inspiration! Didn't have zucchini, added orange bell pepper. Doubled red pepper flakes. Added about a tsp of sugar (I can't help it, I'm a southern girl!). Then I realized I didn't know my cabinets as well as I thought. Subbed canned spaghetti sauce for the tomatoes in puree and fire roasted crushed tomatoes for the diced. Sorry for changing your recipe so much, but I just wanted to let everyone know that this recipe is super flexible. I'll try again with the actual ingredients! Oh, and I blended all the veggies in my Magic Bullet and the kiddies never knew what hit them! Suckers!