Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Picky eaters can be really tough to convince to eat veggies and other healthy foods. Perfect for those picky eaters; it has veggies masquerading as a cheese sauce! Just don’t tell them, we’ll keep it our little secret!! Cheaters Alley: If you can’t find butternut squash frozen or just want to shave a few minutes off prep time, you can use canned pumpkin instead. It would be about 1 cup of pumpkin or squash, and you can skip the boiling with the milk and water. Adapted from www.girlmakesfood.com
- 0.5 (16 ounce) bag frozen cauliflower
- 1 lb dreamfields low carb pastas
- 1⁄2 cup pasta water
- 10 ounces frozen butternut squash
- 1⁄2 cup milk (regular, or non dairy milk)
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese (If you try and use mild cheddar, there will be little to no flavor!)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- •Put cauliflower florets in microwave safe dish and cook covered for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- •In a large pot, bring pasta water to a boil.
- •Add pasta, and cook until al dente, I recommend 2 minutes less than the package says.
- •Drain and add back to the pot, off the heat.
- •In another, small pot, boil milk and pasta water (scoop it out of the boiling pasta pot) with the butternut squash.
- •Add the butternut squash and milk mix into a blender with the cheeses.
- •Add the cauliflower.
- •Blend until smooth.
- •Taste, you will probably need to add a decent amount of salt.
- •Add the sauce to the pasta and place in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
- •Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed (yes again – this is your last chance to get it perfect!).
- Melt butter and mix with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over mac n cheese.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden.
- Can be made ahead and refridgerated. Just cook 30 minutes.
- •Eat up! (And don’t tell!).