These little gems look like a bite of chocolate heaven - even to ME!! I KNOW they will satisfy my little guy - who is on an anti-veggie kick at the moment. Makes me think of the decadent chocolate frosted cake from school daze that had beets in it - every kid's nightmare. Couldn't believe it when I saw the recipe as a kid. Oh, well. Get 'em in there any way you can Mommy....until they get over the YUCK phase. THIS TOO SHALL PASS! And with these cupcakes, it looks like our secret is safe!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup zucchini, finely grated
- 1 cup carrot, finely grated
- 16 ounces chocolate frosting (I like Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; stir in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add tot he creamed mixture alternately with the yogurt, beating well after each addition.
- FOld in zucchini and carrots.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; once cool frost cupcales and enjoy!