Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
quick easy and delicious
- 1 chicken, whole 3 to 4 pounds
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb portabella mushroom, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 tablespoons oregano, crushed dry
- 1 cup dry red wine
- preheat oven to 375.
- layer onions, mushrooms, garlic and oregano in heavy pot with cover.
- place chicken, breast up, on vegetable. Pour wine over.
- move pot to cooktop. On low, begin heating contents.
- Depending on chicken size, in 15 to 30 minutes, turn chicken over and cover pot.
- when oven is ready, transfer pot to middle rack. Roast 90 minutes without removing lid.
- Check for doneness.
- When chicken is done, remove to serving platter, cover and let rest.
- return pot to cooktop, simmer sauce down to desired consistency.
- Skim fat.
- Serve beside chicken.