Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Vegetarian Times.
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped and divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces soy ground meat substitute (plain or taco-flavored)
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup dark beer
- 2 large jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 taco shells
- shredded lettuce
- shredded monterey jack-style soy cheese or tex-mex soy cheese
- sliced avocado
- vegan sour cream
- chopped scallion
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in 1/4 cup of onion and 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic; stir/saute for 2-3 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Lower heat to medium amd mix in the soy "ground meat" , stock, and beer.
- Lower heat to low and cook for about 8 minutes or until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Transfer mixtgure to a plate and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the skillet over med-low heat.
- Add in the remaining onion and garlic; stir/saute for 4 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- ADd in jalapeno, chili powder, and oregano, stirring for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add in the reserved "meat", salsa, and cilantro; stir well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon 1/4 cup mixture into each taco shell; top with desired garnishes; serve hot.