Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
A colorful, cheesy appetizer from Betty Crocker's Southwest Cooking. Posted for Zaar World Tour 5.
Top Review by sudenkorento13
This is a tasty recipe for stuffed small red tomatoes. I've used both cherry tomatoes and Campari tomatoes in this recipe and both make a delicious appetizer or light lunch. I am still unsure as to why this recipe says it is for tomatillos when it is obviously for small red tomatoes of some sort. Tomatillos are not a type/variety of small red tomatoes, they are a completely different varietal of the fruit (and yes, tomato varietals are fruits not vegetables). And while I'm sure some recipes exist, I've never seen one that uses raw tomatillos for anything. Tomatillos (little green tomatoes in a green papery husk) are pretty unpalatable when raw. (In green salsas, tomatillos are roasted and then pureed.) Just a little info that might help to clarify; not intending to tick off anyone! :-)
- 20 tomatillos (or can use cherry tomatoes)
- 2⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup whole kernel corn
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 green onions, sliced (with tops)
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- ground red chili pepper (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a thin slice from stem ends of tomatillos. Remove pulp and seeds with melon baller or small spoon. Blot the insides of each with a paper towel. (Thanks to Hokieslady for the tip! :)).
- Mix cheddar cheese, corn, cream cheese, onions and 1 teaspoon of ground red chiles.
- Fill tomatillos with cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with ground red chiles.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving time.