Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I fixed this for Christmas and everyone loved it, including my son-in-law, who doesn't even like barbecue. It is delicious.
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast (I used a beef top round roast)
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 buns or 24 rolls
- Place beef in a dutch oven.
- Combine all remaining ingredients, except the buns.
- Pour over beef.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 5 hours, turning beef occasionally.
- Shred beef with a fork.
- Serve on buns or rolls.
- Note: can keep this warm in a crock pot.
- This recipe can also be cut in half.
Overall, good flavor and recipe. I also did in crockpot with no water. Plenty juicy! The recipe doesn't indicate what type of vinegar to use so I used cider. I also think it's important to note that when shredding the beef remove the fat from the roast...don't just shred it in. Obvious to me, but maybe not to others. Will use this base recipe again, for sure, but since I like a little more kick to my sauce I'll need to play with it to give it more of a zip. Thanks for sharing.
Oh my gosh, this was so delicious. I did it in the oven, exactly 5 hours, let it cool about an hour, then got rid of some fat and shredded it. I only used about 1/2 cup water, so the sauce was really intense, which I loved. I thought we would have leftovers enough to freeze, but we ate almost everything.
Excellent! I did the beef in the crockpot and, taking another member's suggestion, completely omitted the water. It cooked for 7 hours, then I shredded it and let it cook another hour or so. I added some cornstarch to thicken the sauce up at the end, and served the BBQ on whole wheat crusty rolls. It was a definite hit! Thanks so much.