Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An unusual French recipe. If you can't get the fig leaf, no matter, substitue with some parsley. Directions are given for live snails. I would use canned or frozen prepared snails. This was an adopted recipe which would be much faster and easier using prepared snails. Times given for recipe using prepared snails.
- Preparation time 15 minutes.
- Cooking time 1 hour.
- Starve the snails and clean them well.
- Cook them for 1 hour in boiling water with added salt, fennel and a fig leaf; drain and remove them from their shells.
- Prepare an omelette mixture.
- Beat the egg yolks and fold in the stiffly beaten whites.
- Make an omelette in the usual way and fill with the snails.
- Wine: red or white Haut-Poitou, Anjou or Touraine.