Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love sloppy joes (Manwich) and and I love the annual Taste of Home cookbooks! Here's a variation of Sloppy Joes, done as a snack/appetizer and adapted to include low fat and low sodium options...From the 1999 Annual Taste Of Home cookbook and placed here for safekeeping!
- 1 lb ground turkey breast or 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (no salt added preferred)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 36 slices rye cocktail bread, snack size
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (Kraft Reduced Fat preferred)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a skillet, saute ground turkey breast with yellow onion and green bell pepper in oil.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, water and seasonings; cook over low heat for approximately 10 minutes or until thickened and heated through.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoonful on each slice of snack-size bread and place each slice on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes; serve immediately.