Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cool kid's snack
- 2 1⁄2 cups halved pretzel sticks
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- 1 1⁄2 cups M&M's plain chocolate candy
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, cereal and M&M's.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter and peanut butter.
- Add marshmallows; cook and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour over pretzel mixture; stir to coat.
- Press into a greased 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Cool until firm; cut into squares.
"After reading the reviews, we cut the butter in half and added a hand full (1/2 lb) of cashew pieces. The pretzel sticks lost most of the salt, so I suggest sprinkling kosher salt on top to taste. After spreading the mix, we put in the freezer for 10 minutes. No problem with the mix setting up and getting firm. The squares were a big hit at our Memorial Weekend gathering. This will be standard fare for our family summer gatherings!"
Oh boy I made these last Christmas for my baked goods gift trays and they were a big hit. I doubled the recipe and there didn't seem to be enough of the butter/marshmallow/peanut butter stuff to bind everything together but they turned out fine (a little smashed up but tasted great). Next time, I will make in 2 separate batches. Sorry it took so long for me to rate but I am making them again by special request for a friend as her birthday present. Thank you.
I was really disappointed that this never set that well. It was like there was too much butter; the squares were really gooey, and the marshmallow mixture just sank to the bottom. The taste was good. I might consider making this again but tweaking the recipe... 1/2 cup butter just seems like too much.