Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Taste of Home. This cake packs and travels well since the topping bakes down into it - great for road trips or lunch boxes.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in egg until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture; mix well.
- Fold in marshmallows and chips.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 for 30- 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.
I take my 4 grandchildren camping for a week, in a trailor, at a campground, every year. My grandaughter and I bake every day. I was excited to try this recipe and we did. It sounded like all the ingredients would make a great "S'more cake". I had to put it in 2 8" round pans. (trailer oven can't fit a 9x13 pan) DH ate my walnuts, but, we did follow the recipe exactly without them. DH and I felt the cake was dry. The children ate one 8' cake but said no to a piece of the second cake. The flavor to me was good. Sorry, I could only give the cake 3 stars.
I had to try this because it just sounded so interesting - and I'm glad I did. A very good snack cake and easy to put together. Thanks!