Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My friend always makes smothered turkey wings and I'd always get to his house too late to get any. I searched for a recipe and couldn't find one, so I created my own. Enjoy!
- 6 turkey wings (whole or drummettes)
- 3 medium carrots, cut up
- 3 stalks celery, cut up
- 1 medium onion, cut up
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 (7/8 ounce) packets turkey gravy mix (powdered)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Season turkey wings the night before with the seasoning of your choice. I use a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Refrigerate until morning.
- Arrange cut up vegetables, bay leaves and garlic in bottom of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle 1 packet of turkey gravy mix on top of vegetables and stir to coat.
- Pour 1/2 cup water over vegetables.
- Place turkey wings on top of vegetables and sprinkle remaining turkey gravy powder over turkey wings.
- Cook the turkey wings in the slow cooker on low before leaving for work in the morning and when you return home in the evening your turkey wings will be tender and simmering in their own rich gravy.
- This is great served over hot white rice.
Oh, also...don't cook this before you go to work. It takes about 3 hours on low, tops.
Loved it. Decided to surf the web for a crock pot recipe for turkey wings, while homebound during the 2016 east coast blizzard. I didn't have turkey gravy packets, but I improvised by making a mixture of flower and seasonings. Next time I will add potatoes. I actually left in crock pot for 8 hours per recipe and it worked great, not dry, meat fell off the bones once plated. Thanks for the recipe!!!!