Recipe by breezermom
These cube steaks are cooked slowly to make them nice and tender. The acid from the tomatoes and the cola help to tenderize the meat. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice to soak up the sauce.
Top Review by Sable3569
Delish! I couldn't stop eating it! The cola made the sauce very tasty and just a little sweet, which I thought was wonderful. I did make a few changes based off of the ingredients I had on hand. Instead of salting the steaks, I added 1 tsp of Lawry's season salt to the flour mixture before dredging the steaks. To the veggie mixture, I add 2 chopped celery stalks and 2 chopped carrots, since I like a lot of veggies. After sauteeing the veggies, I sprinkled 2 tsps of the leftover flour mixture on them just to ensure the sauce wouldn't be too runny. I also added a dash of Montreal Steak Seasoning at the end to give it a little more salty flavor. This is definitely a keeper!!!!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 24 ounces cube steaks
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces cola drink
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle salt evenly on both sides of the cube steaks. Combine flour and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge steaks in the flour mixture.
- Brown 2 steaks in 1 1/2 tbsp hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat 3 minutes each side; drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining steaks and oil. Drain drippings from skillet, reserving 1 tbsp oil in skillet.
- Saute onion and bell pepper in hot drippings 7 minutes or until tender.
- Add diced tomatoes and remaining 3 ingredients to skillet. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return the steaks to the skillet; cover and cook over low heat 55 to 60 minutes or until tender.