Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Growing up in the South, we had a neighbor that I adored, Cris Juneau, French Louisianian from New Orleans' way. She made the BEST smothered steak. Reconnecting when I was adult, she cooked her infamous dish from memory, but I watched and recreated to paper. Serve with Mashed Potatoes. Simply pure southern comfort food!
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4 piece cube steaks (butcher tenderized)
- 236.59 ml flour
- 118.29 ml oil
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced rings
- In small bowl mix 4 seasonings.
- Place flour in a flat surfaced dish (save unused flour for smothering).
- Sprinkle front and back side of each steak piece and rub deep into groves of steak.
- Heat oil to medium high in skillet (cast iron is best).
- Dredge each piece in flour, press in with finger tips. Re-dredge in flour again and place carefully in hot oil for 1 minute and then turn back heat to medium.
- Fry steak 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove, drain on a separate plate.
- Remove all but 2-3 Tbs of oil, over medium high heat, sprinkle with 3 Tbs flour, whisking until well mixed and roux browns.
- Add water, bouillon cube and remaining seasoning. Mix until gravy begins to thicken slightly. Test taste for spice as this is the time to adjust (salt or water).
- Replace steak back in gravy and spread onion rings over the tops.
- Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes.
Awesome! I made this tonight. The only changes I made are: I added some sliced baby bella mushrooms and sauteed the mushrooms and onions (I used white onions) in the oil before adding the flour and making the gravy.
C'mon, make this recipe. Start with just a single step. Okay, now out the door to the car and then the grocery. Follow those with several hundred more steps, retracing back home. You won't be sorry! I promise.
I didn't use the seasonings listed but I used a seasoning mix that I have that is similar in ingredients. And I omitted the onions because my family doesn't like them. Other than that I followed the recipe and it was wonderful! I will make this one again.