1/2 Photos of Smothered Steak Deeply Southern
Southern Lady's Note:
Growing up in the South, we had a neighbor that I adored, Cris Juneau, French Louisianian from New Orleans' way. She made the BEST smothered steak. Reconnecting when I was adult, she cooked her infamous dish from memory, but I watched and recreated to paper. Serve with Mashed Potatoes. Simply pure southern comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In small bowl mix 4 seasonings.
- 2Place flour in a flat surfaced dish (save unused flour for smothering).
- 3Sprinkle front and back side of each steak piece and rub deep into groves of steak.
- 4Heat oil to medium high in skillet (cast iron is best).
- 5Dredge each piece in flour, press in with finger tips. Re-dredge in flour again and place carefully in hot oil for 1 minute and then turn back heat to medium.
- 6Fry steak 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove, drain on a separate plate.
- 7Remove all but 2-3 Tbs of oil, over medium high heat, sprinkle with 3 Tbs flour, whisking until well mixed and roux browns.
- 8Add water, bouillon cube and remaining seasoning. Mix until gravy begins to thicken slightly. Test taste for spice as this is the time to adjust (salt or water).
- 9Replace steak back in gravy and spread onion rings over the tops.
- 10Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Steak Deeply Southern
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.2
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 842.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: