1 hr 30 mins
The Glory of Southern Cooking, James Villas
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season quail inside and out with salt and pepper; arrange them in a single layer in a large baking dish.
- 2In a mixing bowl, whisk together the gin and oil until well blended.
- 3Add in the onion, celery leaves, and tarragon; season with Tabasco and stir.
- 4Pour the marinade over the quail, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 6 hours, turning the quail twice.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°.
- 6Remove the quail from the marinade and wipe dry with paper towels.
- 7Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add half the quail; brown them lightly on all sides, and transfer to a large, shallow baking dish.
- 8Repeat with the remaining butter and quail.
- 9Wrap each quail snugly with a strip of bacon, strain the marinade over the birds, cover them with a sheet of foil, and bake until the quail are very tender, about 45 mintues.
- 10On a large serving platter, arrange each quail on a toast triangle and serve.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Quail
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 985.0
- Calories from Fat 722
- Total Fat 80.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.2 g
- Cholesterol 237.2 mg
- Sodium 617.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 48.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: