1/1 Photo of Smothered Potatoes - Papas Chorreadas, Colombia
1 hr 25 mins
A Tale of Two Cites: Medellín and Bogotá. Bogotá is cold, the people are very traditional, 10 million of them! Medellín; A party town, warm (a.k.a. The City of Eternal Spring), party population 3 million. Most of my family came out of Medellín and its surroundings. Both cities have completely different cuisines. A couple of my uncles moved to Bogotá (I guess they like cold weather), married and stayed. My uncle Tulio married Inés and had 10 children. "Inecita", as we called her, was a great cook and her signature recipe was "Papas Chorreadas" which she would always make for me when my parents and I rolled into town. Here is my favorite recipe from my sweet Aunt Inecita.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 medium red potatoes
- 1 small white onion (chopped finely)
- 1 bunch green onion (chopped in 1/2 bits, reserve a tablespoon or so for garnish)
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml turmeric (or anato. The recipe calls for Saffron but that stuff is expensive! It's just for color.)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 177.44 ml heavy whipping cream
- 170.09 g mozzarella cheese
- 11. Scrub the potatoes and place in a large pot of boiling, salted water. Boil until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and let cool slightly.
- 22. Finely chop the shallots or onion. Chop the white part and a inch or two of the green part of the scallions into 1/2 inch lengths. Finely chop the rest of the green parts of the scallion and reserve for a garnish.
- 33. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the 1/2-inch pieces of scallion, the shallots, the cumin, and the chile powder in the butter until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 44. Add the diced tomatoes and cilantro, and cook until the tomatoes are soft and fragrant. Add the tablespoon of flour and stir briefly.
- 55. Stir in the cream, anato and cheese, and heat until sauce just comes to a boil and cheese is mostly melted. Remove from heat.
- 66. Slice potatoes into halves or wedges, and arrange potatoes onto a platter. Pour sauce over potatoes. Garnish with chopped green onion.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Potatoes - Papas Chorreadas, Colombia
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.3
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 55.0 mg
- Sodium 216.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 9.9 g