Recipe by Eric R.
A great recipe I saw being made on TV a couple of weeks ago that I had to try
Top Review by Beverly C.
I'm another person who didn't have Calvados so used another cup of chicken broth instead. I used DIY Cajun Seasoning rather than Emeril's which worked great. Family says this recipe is a keeper so we'll be doing again.
- 4 double cut pork chops
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick wedges
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 3 lbs savoy cabbage (1 head) or 3 lbs napa cabbage (1 head)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup calvados
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped marjoram
Directions See How It's Made
- Season both sides of the pork chops with the Essence and kosher salt. Lightly dredge in the flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over high heat. Add the pork chops 2 at a time, and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops and transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining pork chops and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high, and add the apples and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples and onions are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, Calvados, caraway seeds, bay leaves, salt, pepper and herbs. Cook uncovered until sauce comes to a boil. Add the pork chops, cover, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the pork chops are fork-tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve the pork chops with the cabbage and pan juices.
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.