Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is originally from the Patty LaBelle cookbook slightly tweeked. Excellent comfort food and the gravy it makes is delicious on mashed potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 32 ounces pork chops, with bone
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 dash hot red pepper sauce (my favorite is tapatio)
- Heat 1 TBSP oil over medium high heat.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown meat in hot oil, about four minutes per side. Remove meat and set aside.
- Add the remaining TBSP oil.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Don't worry about the garlic, it loses its power in the cooking. Cook stiring often for about three minutes or until the onions get translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often for about 8 minutes. (they should start to brown).
- Mix flour and Thyme and add to pan. Stir well till it gets thick.
- Add Milk and Broth and bring to a simmer.
- Return pork chops and any juices to skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium low, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in hot sauce before serving.
Well I knew this had to be a winner. Peppers, onions and mushrooms-Very good, very easy and very tasty. I used pork steaks for this last night. I never used chicken broth before and that gave it a whole new taste and I also used a yellow pepper as that was all I had at the time. This will be a keeper for us. Thanks for such a tasty dinner. It was reallly good and was a meal you can fix on a busy night and not spend your whole night in a kitchen...which is a lifesaver when your a working mom :-)