Recipe by ladycajunskitchen
I love okra !! yummy. This Recipe has come from watching my aunt as I was a little girl making this delicious concoction, the smell of this cooking oh my!! This recipe comes from south Louisiana, If you have some okra lovers, I suggest doubling this recipe. Also this recipe can be used with squash instead of okra, it is just as delicious as the okra!!! Just don't use the tomatoes with the squash, not unless you would like it that way, but do try the squash once without the tomatoes.
- 1 lb okra
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (or 2 or 3 fresh tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄2 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp, remove from skillet, set aside to drain and cool.
- saute onions in the bacon grease until they turn clear.
- add Okra to onions,cut up tomatoes or add can of stewed tomatoes.
- add seasonings, crumble bacon add to skillet. Stir often.
- cook until okra is no longer slimey.