Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Southern Creole style okra!
- 1 lb okra, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, with juice
- salt and pepper
- Pour oil in bottom of pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover pot and simmer 1 1/2 hours on low, stirring often.
- Remove the cover the last 10 minutes.
I'm not a big okra fan, but this is a great dish. My mother-in-law makes a similar dish, but she adds smoked sausage and shrimp. Thus, I omitted the mushrooms and added sausage and shrimp. I sauteed my onions, bell peppers, and garlic in the olive oil. Then I added the okra and cooked it until most of the "slime" cooked out. Then, I added tomato paste and about one cup of water ( I didn't have canned tomatoes). I added cut smoked sausage and cooked for about 45 minutes. Last, I added pre-cooked shrimp towards the end of cooking, so they would not dry out. Great recipe. Thanks!
I loved the okra, tomatoes and mushrooms cooked together, but I thought the final result was very bland in taste. When I make this again, I'll use additional spices to give it a little kick.
Very goooood Steph, My mother use to make Okra like this, She was a VERY good cook. We grow Okra, so I have it in the freezer, the recipe is a keeper. thank you for posting the recipe.