Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I took a que from Rachel Ray's Hot Pepper Chicken Under a brick. Minus the brick. I then smothered it with mushrooms, onions, cheese, and avocados. It makes a delicious spicy dinner.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 4 tablespoons dry rub seasoning, I use McCormick Grillmates chicken rub
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil, I like the mild tasting, not extra virgin
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno juice (from the jarred, pickled jalapenos)
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup mushroom, Sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, Sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella-provolone cheese blend
- Generously Spinkle chicken with the chicken rub, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Combine the olive oil, mustard, jalapeno juice, and red pepper flakes and brush over both sides of chicken breasts.
- Cook Chicken in Skillet on medium high until cooked through. (If your chicken is thick it can be finished in the oven at 350º F. I use a meat thermometer, let it get to 165ºF.)
- After removing chicken from the skillet, add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms and saute until caramelized. Then Salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock, a little at a time, allowing the veggies to soak it up and get juicy. Add just enough make a really thick sauce. (should be more veggies than sauce.)
- Top chicken with Avocados, a little salt, the mushrooms and onions, then the cheese. You can put under the broiler to melt cheese but I just let the heat from the meat and veggies melt it.
- Enjoy! I like it with a baked sweet potato and butter.
Awesome recipe, however, we found it abit too spicy for us. I only added 1 tsp red pepper flakes, next time I'll do 1/2 tsp & only 1/2 Tbsp jalapeno juice. We also found it a tad salty so I'll cut that also. I found I only need 1/2 cup of broth, we prefer less vs more sauce on stuff. Regardless we enjoyed this dish, thanks for sharing.
Excellent! We loved this chicken. It's just the right amount of spice without being too much. I used Sylvia's Souful Seasoning for my dry rub on the chicken. After I cooked the chicken, I threw in the veggies called for and also added two Yukon Gold potatoes, diced small with the skin still on. I didn't have an avocado on hand so I just omitted it. I will definitely be making this again. It's different and very tasty! Thanks for posting!