Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
When my husband and I ate at Deer Park, at the Biltmore Estate...we had the chef's veggies along with our meal. We loved it, and when we got home...I took the chef's vegetables and made them my own...with the spices we like best. I never add salt to any recipe, so you may want to use a bit of salt to taste.
- 2 small summer squash, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 head red cabbage or 1⁄2 head green cabbage, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, enough to cover the bottom of your fry pan.
- Slice and chop all of your vegetables before starting the recipe.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium heat (absolutely do not"crowd" this recipe- I use a large chicken frypan) and add the olive oil to the pan.
- Start with your sliced cabbage, as it takes the longest to cook.
- When the cabbage is starting to wilt, add your onions and red sweet pepper.
- At this point, you should stir frequently.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the summer squash and the zucchini and turn the heat down to a medium low heat.
- Cover the pan and let it"smother" for approximately 10 minutes-- uncovering and stirring at the 5 minute point.
- Remove the lid after the 10 minutes and add the Basil, Parsley, and Pepper, stirring thoroughly to distribute them.
- At this point, if the squash and zucchini are not somewhat translucent-- cook until they are.
- This is a"heart healthy" recipe and can be served in very nice portions.