Recipe by STARTERWIFE
An adaptation of the famous croque monsieur. A nice ham and cheese sandwich with a white cheese sauce broiled on top. Sauce is enough for 16 slices. Don’t try to cut down recipe white sauce wont come out right. If you have sauce left, save it for penne, tuna, etc.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 2 cups gruyere (I prefer white American) or 2 cups your favorite cheese (I prefer white American)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices ham, 1 slice per sandwich
- 16 slices bread, crust removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk in pan.
- In separate pan, melt butter; add flour for roux. Stir for a minute then add hot milk and mix till smooth. Take off heat and add 1cup (leave 1/2 for sandwich) of cheese and all of parmesan; mix well--add salt and pepper.
- Toast bread. On one slice, put cheese and ham. Cover with a slice. Repeat for how many sandwiches you want. On top of sandwich, put some cheese; then pour on sauce and put under broiler 3-5 minutes, till golden brown.
- Serve hot--yummy .