Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs swiss chard, washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1⁄4 lb lean smoked ham, diced (optional)
- 1 lb mustard greens or 1 lb spinach, washed,trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh raw corn kernels
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- lemon juice, to taste
- cider vinegar, for accompaniment
- hot pepper sauce, for accompaniment
- Separate the chard ribs from the leaves.
- Chop the leaves coarsely and chop the stems into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over moderately low heat.
- Add onion and saute until slightly softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add ham (if used), chard leaves and ribs, mustard greens and stock.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- Cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover skillet; add corn.
- Cook, uncovered, until corn is done and greens are tender (about 5 more minutes).
- Stir in parsley, salt and pepper, and a few drops lemon juice.
- To serve, offer cider vinegar and hot pepper sauce on the side.
I subbed turnip greens for the swiss chard. Probably a mistake - couldn't get anyone to eat this. Follow the recipe and it'll be great.