Recipe by Montana Heart Song
There was a little cafe located near a truckstop in Memphis. It was open 24 hrs a day and their specialty was potatoes.It was loaded with drivers all the time. I have tried to duplicate.Smothered covered lathered fried potatoes or browns with a "Squawk" meant a fried egg on top of the onions and peppers.
Top Review by Krsi Sue
This was my breakfast today. I prefer green onions, but the regular onions are great as well. I'm not a sourcream person for this, but "german" is in my blood - - so I have to have cottage cheese on it. This is comfort food for me!
- 8 potatoes, shredded or 8 potatoes, cut in thin slices
- 4 white onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 green peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mccormick all seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 slices American cheese or 8 slices Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup spicy nacho cheese sauce (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a colandar and rinse the starch, drain and wrap in cotton towel to dry.Work quickly or they will turn brown.
- Heat your grill, pour 1/8 cup olive oil, then spread the potatoes on the grill.
- Sprinkle 1 tblsp. All Seasoning on potatoes.
- If you have a large enough grill, pour the balance of olive oil on grill and throw the onions and green peppers on.
- Sprinkle 1 tblsp All Seasoning on them. Turn with a spatula so they brown evenly.
- If you have a small grill, take the potatoes off and keep warm. Then throw them back on to crisp.
- To Serve: Potatoes,smothered with green peppers and onions, covered with cheese. Melt the cheese under the broiler of the oven for a just a minute or microwave. The Cafe melted under hot lights. Lathered with sour cream. For those of you who like cottage cheese on their hashbrowns that is also lathered in the "cafe language".
- You could have hot peppers on the side.
- Spicy hot nacho cheese sauce was a choice instead of cheese slices.