Montana Heart Song's Note:
There was a little cafe located near a truckstop in Memphis. It was open 24 hrs a day and their specialty was potatoes.It was loaded with drivers all the time. I have tried to duplicate.Smothered covered lathered fried potatoes or browns with a "Squawk" meant a fried egg on top of the onions and peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 potatoes, shredded or 8 potatoes, cut in thin slices
- 4 white onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 green peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mccormick all seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 slices American cheese or 8 slices Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup spicy nacho cheese sauce (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese (optional)
- 1Place potatoes in a colandar and rinse the starch, drain and wrap in cotton towel to dry.Work quickly or they will turn brown.
- 2Heat your grill, pour 1/8 cup olive oil, then spread the potatoes on the grill.
- 3Sprinkle 1 tblsp. All Seasoning on potatoes.
- 4If you have a large enough grill, pour the balance of olive oil on grill and throw the onions and green peppers on.
- 5Sprinkle 1 tblsp All Seasoning on them. Turn with a spatula so they brown evenly.
- 6If you have a small grill, take the potatoes off and keep warm. Then throw them back on to crisp.
- 7To Serve: Potatoes,smothered with green peppers and onions, covered with cheese. Melt the cheese under the broiler of the oven for a just a minute or microwave. The Cafe melted under hot lights. Lathered with sour cream. For those of you who like cottage cheese on their hashbrowns that is also lathered in the "cafe language".
- 8You could have hot peppers on the side.
- 9Spicy hot nacho cheese sauce was a choice instead of cheese slices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered, Covered, Lathered, Fried Potatoes or Browns
Serving Size: 1 (583 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 783.1
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 52.5 mg
- Sodium 474.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: