Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a change for cornish hen recipes. It is quite tasty.
Make and share this Smothered Cornish Game Hens recipe from Food.com.
- Brown hens in the butter in a large skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Then place with breast up in a 13x9 baking dish.
- Add flour into the skillet stirring until smooth.
- Cook 2 minutes; stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Slowly stir in the broth and sherry; cook over medium heat, constantly stirring, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over hens and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour covered.
This is a great recipe! The sauce was delicious and could probably be used for many different meats. My only issue was the massive amount of butter involved; the end result was a bit oily (from the butter and the birds). I may experiment with using less butter.
Very good! I did add some chopped onions and minced garlic otherwise I followed your recipe the way you wrote it. Very moist and so tender. I served this with green bean casserole and rice. Next time I'll add some carrots and potatoes. Thanks Ranger Rover for posting.
Very good recipe; the hens were perfectly cooked and so moist using this method. I used white wine instead of sherry, and tucked some carrot chunks and red potato wedges in with the hens to make a complete meal.