D. Todd Miller's Note:
This hearty and delicious dish is actually diet-friendly! The recipe was printed in a local newspaper about 10 years ago; however, the recipe is identical to one found in the "Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library: Healthy Cooking" by John Phillip Carroll. I recommend serving this over rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 lb fresh mushrooms, brushed clean and thinly sliced
- 4 (4 -5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (approximate, adjust to your liking)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (approximate, adjust to your liking)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium preferred)
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped (optional)
- 1Peel the carrot, quarter it lengthwise and then cut crosswise into pieces 1/2 inch thick. Set aside with the onion and the mushrooms.
- 2Coat a large nonstick frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When hot but not smoking, add the chicken breast halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until browned (about 2 minutes per side). Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- 3Return the pan to medium-high heat and add oil. When hot but not smoking, add the carrot, onion, and mushrooms and cook briskly, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and are lightly browned (about 7 minutes).
- 4Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until fully blended (about 2 minutes longer).
- 5Add the broth and the tarragon (if desired) and bring to a boil, stirring frequently until slightly thickened.
- 6Return the chicken breasts to the pan, pushing them down into the liquid. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the chicken breasts are opaque throughout (when cut open with a knife) and the vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
- 7Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Chicken With Mushrooms and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.7
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 65.7 mg
- Sodium 764.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 32.5 g