1/2 Photos of Smothered Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
A nice quick entree after a hectic day at work. From Bon Appetit magazine. I saute the chicken longer than the time specified to make sure it's cooked through, or pound the breasts thinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Blend flour, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and allspice in small bowl.
- 2Set aside 1 tablespoon of flour mixture.
- 3Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then with enough of remaining flour mixture to coat.
- 4Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Add chicken to skillet.
- 6Saute until brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- 7Transfer chicken to plate.
- 8Add mushrooms, onion, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme to skillet.
- 9Saute until mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes.
- 10Mix in reserved 1 tablespoon flour mixture; cook 1 minute.
- 11Add cream and broth and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- 12Return chicken and any collected juices to skillet.
- 13Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through and gravy thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 14Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.1
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 187.5 mg
- Sodium 285.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 32.4 g