Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice quick entree after a hectic day at work. From Bon Appetit magazine. I saute the chicken longer than the time specified to make sure it's cooked through, or pound the breasts thinner.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- Blend flour, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and allspice in small bowl.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of flour mixture.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then with enough of remaining flour mixture to coat.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to skillet.
- Saute until brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme to skillet.
- Saute until mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in reserved 1 tablespoon flour mixture; cook 1 minute.
- Add cream and broth and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Return chicken and any collected juices to skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through and gravy thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This was wonderful! I pounded my chicken breasts (lightly, not enough to flatten them). Cooked for 4 mins per side in the butter, then for 5 mins at the end, in the sauce, and they were perfectly cooked, moist and tender. This was rich, too rich to cook often, but man was it luscious! Loved the thyme flavour. Next time, I will likely cut back on the butter and sub lowfat evaporated milk for the cream. I served it with rice and a salad, and in retrospect the salad wasn't a good choice. Steamed broccoli would have been better. I substituted a plump shallot for the onion, which was the only deviation I made from the recipe. Excellent chicken, terrific sauce; definitely a keeper!
Ultimate comfort food. I only had half of the mushrooms called for, but it was still awesome. I cooked the chicken just a bit longer as suggested by yooper. I will definitely make this again.
This was really good. My husband does not like chicken breast and he really liked this recipe. I used whole milk instead of whipping cream, I was out of allspice and use 1/4 teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg.