Recipe by SweetChef
Got this one online from someone else's site. It's fantastic. I never use the mint flakes, as I don't have any.
Top Review by Pinay0618
We enjoyed this meal. I did double up on the spices, using half for the chicken, and the remainder into the pot to season the barley and vegetables. Thank you for sharing this recipe :)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon canola oil
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in small bowl, rub chicken with half of spice mixture.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over med-high heat. Add chicken, cook 1 min on each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Recoat skillet with spray, add chopped onion, bell pepper, and soy sauce. Cook over med-high heat 3 minutes until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice mixture. Stir well.
- Add chicken to skillet, nestling thighs into vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onions.