Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, butterflied (; split down t)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- Sprinkle chicken on both sides with saltand pepper.
- Fold wings underneath to secure them.
- Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet large.
- enough to hold the flattened chicken comfortably.
- Put chicken in,skin-side down, cover chicken firmly with a plate and put about 5 lbs of weight on top of the plate.
- Cook over low heat until skin is nicely browned, about 25 minutes.
- Turn chicken skin-side up, replace weight, cook about 15 more minutes.
- Remove chicken and pour off fat, reserving 2 Tbsp.
- Add flour to fat and whisk.
- Gradually add chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- Return chicken (skin-side up), add salt and pepper, replace plate and weight, and continue cooking over low heat about 30 minutes, or until chicken is exceptionally tender.
- Spoon the gravy over the chicken, cut into serving pieces, and serve with fluffy rice.