My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle chicken on both sides with saltand pepper.
- 2Fold wings underneath to secure them.
- 3Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet large.
- 4enough to hold the flattened chicken comfortably.
- 5Put chicken in,skin-side down, cover chicken firmly with a plate and put about 5 lbs of weight on top of the plate.
- 6Cook over low heat until skin is nicely browned, about 25 minutes.
- 7Turn chicken skin-side up, replace weight, cook about 15 more minutes.
- 8Remove chicken and pour off fat, reserving 2 Tbsp.
- 9Add flour to fat and whisk.
- 10Gradually add chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- 11Return chicken (skin-side up), add salt and pepper, replace plate and weight, and continue cooking over low heat about 30 minutes, or until chicken is exceptionally tender.
- 12Spoon the gravy over the chicken, cut into serving pieces, and serve with fluffy rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Chicken Southern Style
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.1
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 130.9 mg
- Sodium 330.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 31.4 g