Recipe by fraserwag
A very simple, yet very tasty weeknight chicken dish. The onion, stock and flour reduces down to make a mild, savory gravy.
Top Review by ecedman
I found the recipe poorly written.. How are you supposed to cook the onion? Sliced, diced or chopped? All you said was "1 large onion" and then to cook "the onion". Little details like "chopped, diced or sliced" are needed. I am still in process of cooking the dish, so I don't know how it will taste. I agree with Teddy's Mommy. A little more chicken stock would help the consistency of the gravy.
- 4 (1/2 lb) boneless skinless chicken breasts (approx 2 lbs total)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound chicken breasts slightly to uniform thickness. Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes, then melt 4 tablespoons butter. Sauté the chicken breasts, 2 at a time in the melted butter until browned on both sides. Place browned chicken in a medium-sized sauce pan.
- Add remaining two tablespoons of butter to skillet, and then sauté the onion until soft and brown, about 4 minutes Add onions to chicken in sauce pan.
- Add 5 tablespoons flour to skillet, and sauté about 2 minutes, until slightly browned. Add stock and whisk until smooth. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder, and then pour over chicken in sauce pan. Add ranch dressing and stir.
- Bring mixture to boil in sauce pan, then cover and simmer over medium low for 30 minutes.
- I serve with homemade biscuits to mop the gravy, along with mashed potatoes, or wild rice.