Recipe by Always in the kitchen Connie
Actually got this recipe from Quick Cooking. It did not call for the Mexican type cheese or the wine. Found they both spruced it up a bit. Original recipe also called for using package bacon and canned mushrooms. We happen to like fresh. In a hurry, try the canned mushrooms and precooked store bacon.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 chopped green onions
- 6 ounces shredded Mexican blend cheese (3 or 4 blend)
- 2 cups semi-sweet white wine (rhine or white Zin)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- garlic powder, salt and black pepper to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms in tablespoon of margarine or butter until tender.
- Set aside.
- Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder according to your taste.
- Heat large nonstick skillet and add olive oil.
- Add chicken breasts, and brown on both sides.
- Add one cup of wine and cover.
- Cook on medium for 5 minutes, turn chicken again, and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cover chicken breasts with bacon, mushrooms, green onions, and shredded cheese.
- Gently pour remaining cup of wine over everything.
- Cover and cook until cheese is melted and onions are heated through.
- 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve on platter with drippings poured over breasts.