1/1 Photo of Smothered chicken
Always in the kitchen Connie's Note:
Actually got this recipe from Quick Cooking. It did not call for the Mexican type cheese or the wine. Found they both spruced it up a bit. Original recipe also called for using package bacon and canned mushrooms. We happen to like fresh. In a hurry, try the canned mushrooms and precooked store bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 chopped green onions
- 6 ounces shredded Mexican blend cheese (3 or 4 blend)
- 2 cups semi-sweet white wine (rhine or white Zin)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- garlic powder, salt and black pepper to taste
- 1Saute mushrooms in tablespoon of margarine or butter until tender.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder according to your taste.
- 4Heat large nonstick skillet and add olive oil.
- 5Add chicken breasts, and brown on both sides.
- 6Add one cup of wine and cover.
- 7Cook on medium for 5 minutes, turn chicken again, and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8Cover chicken breasts with bacon, mushrooms, green onions, and shredded cheese.
- 9Gently pour remaining cup of wine over everything.
- 10Cover and cook until cheese is melted and onions are heated through.
- 125 to 7 minutes.
- 13Serve on platter with drippings poured over breasts.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered chicken
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.4
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 155.0 mg
- Sodium 985.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 47.3 g