Actually got this recipe from Quick Cooking. It did not call for the Mexican type cheese or the wine. Found they both spruced it up a bit. Original recipe also called for using package bacon and canned mushrooms. We happen to like fresh. In a hurry, try the canned mushrooms and precooked store bacon.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 chopped green onions
- 6 ounces shredded Mexican blend cheese (3 or 4 blend)
- 2 cups semi-sweet white wine (rhine or white Zin)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- garlic powder, salt and black pepper to taste
- Saute mushrooms in tablespoon of margarine or butter until tender.
- Set aside.
- Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder according to your taste.
- Heat large nonstick skillet and add olive oil.
- Add chicken breasts, and brown on both sides.
- Add one cup of wine and cover.
- Cook on medium for 5 minutes, turn chicken again, and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cover chicken breasts with bacon, mushrooms, green onions, and shredded cheese.
- Gently pour remaining cup of wine over everything.
- Cover and cook until cheese is melted and onions are heated through.
- 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve on platter with drippings poured over breasts.