This recipe comes from the "reader recipes" section of Cooking Light - credit goes to reader Erika Cross MacDonald of Nashua, NH. It is delicious served over rice or egg noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) packages sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- chopped fresh chives
- 1Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- 2Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 4Remove from pan.
- 5Heat the oil in pan over medium high heat.
- 6Add carrot, onion, and garlic.
- 7Cook 2 minutes.
- 8Add mushrooms.
- 9Cook 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 10Sprinkle with flour.
- 11Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 12Add broth and thyme.
- 13Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thick, stirring frequently.
- 14Return chicken to pan.
- 15Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- 16Garnish with chives.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.9
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 817.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 32.7 g