Recipe by JeriBinNC
Yet another smothered chicken recipe, but I haven't seen one like this posted here. Don't worry about all the garlic--the long cooking time mellows it. Crush the cloves on a cutting board with the flat side of a knife or the heel of your hand, and then just slip the peels off.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 18 -20 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap or waxed paper, pound chicken to a 1/4" thickness with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge in bread crumbs and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, saute mushrooms in 1 tsp hot oil for 8 minutes or until brown around the edges. Remove from skillet. Sprinkle mushrooms with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Saute garlic in 1 Tbsp hot oil over medium heat till lightly browned and soft, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from skillet, mash lightly with a fork, and set aside.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter with 1/2 Tbsp oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 2 chicken breasts and cook till done, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and place it on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan and keep it warm in a 225 degree oven. Repeat with remaining butter, oil, and chicken.
- Stir chicken broth, lemon juice, basil, and oregano into skillet and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Stir in sauteed mushrooms and garlic.
- Stir together 3 Tbsp flour and 1/4 cup water; whisk into broth mixture over medium-high heat Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon sauce over chicken breasts and serve immediately.