Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1⁄2 large savoy cabbage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, flakes or 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Chop off the hard core of cabbage and discard rinse the cabbage well and slice thinly.
- Put the onion in the olive in a medium saucepan and cook gently until a good golden colour.
- Add the garlic cook 1 minute, then add the fennel seeds and cabbage.
- Cook until the cabbage has wilted turning often with tongs, then season with salt and pepper and pour over the vinegar.
- Cover with lid and cook very gently for 45 minutes turning often.
- If the cabbage dries up add 1 tablespoon of water.
A pleasant cooked cabbage. I would increase the vinegar and the garlic, and crack the fennel to get a little more impact from that spice.
We really enjoyed this. I would never have thought to use fennel seed with cabbage but it works nicely and the amount of vinegar was just right. I was actually a bit worried that my husband might not like this. He normally turns his nose up at cabbage when I sauté it in butter but these flavours pleased him and he cleaned his plate! The one thing I would say is that it doesn't look the prettiest when it's done, but the taste more than makes up for that.
Latchy, Followed the recipe to the letter, very good. Has a nice blending of flavors. Especially liked the fennel seed. DH said he wished it had a more vinegar taste. Probably will increase the vinegar a little next time. Plan to make again.