Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love, love cabbage! Enjoy
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 slices bacon, thick slices
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 large cabbage, chopped roughly
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy pot over medium high heat. Add the sliced bacon, onion and carrots. Cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, beef stock, salt pepper, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, sugar and apple cider vinegar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on a low to medium temperature and cook for 30-35 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Take the lid off of the pot and return the heat to medium high heat. Cook an additional 5 minutes to allow some of the stock to evaporate from the cabbage.
- Serve while hot.