Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cooking Light recipe
Make and share this Smothered Burgers recipe from Food.com.
- cooking spray
- 2 cups vertically sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) packagepresliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb ground round
- 4 slices Texas toast thick bread (1-ounce slices)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Prepare grill.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove onion from pan, and keep warm.
- Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt; saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and beef. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Place bread on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until toasted.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet. Top each bread slice with 1 patty, 1/4 cup onion, 1/4 cup mushrooms, and 2 tablespoons cheese; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.