Recipe by KCShell
This is a flavorful recipe that I found on a Weight Watchers recipe board. Will fit Flex plan or Core.
Top Review by Chef Jac-Mo
Love it! I had to add water a couple of times at the end. I used chicken breasts and fresh tomatos. Tossed in water chesnuts for crunch. It is really good and will definitely be a staple in our house for good. Thanks!
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 (4 ounce) chicken thighs or 6 (4 ounce) chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub chicken with 1/2 of the spices, saving rest.
- Heat oil, cook chicken one minute on each side, or until browned.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Re-coat skillet with cooking spray.
- Add onion, bell pepper and soy sauce.
- Cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until veggies are browned.
- Add broth, barley, tomatoes and remaining spice mixture.
- Add chicken.
- Stir gently.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat.
- Simmer 55 minutes or until chicken is done.