Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An appetizer sandwich! Recipe found somewhere on the web from Gourmet, I think. Chill time of 2-48 hours.
For egg salad filling
- 8 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped fine
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, chopped fine (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 teaspoon drained capers, chopped
For smoked salmon filling
- 10 ounces smoked salmon, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For cream cheese filling
- 3⁄4 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons mixed finely chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, dill, and chives)
- 40 slices very thin firm white bread (from two 1-pound loaves)
For herb topping
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh dill sprig
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Make each filling individually, stirring ingredients together until combined well. Season each filling with salt and pepper. You should have three separate bowls of filling; one egg, one cream cheese, one herb, and one bowl for the topping.
- Stack 4 bread slices together and with a serrated knife trim crusts from bread. Stack and trim remaining 36 bread slices in same manner.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper arrange 8 bread slices side by side in 2 rows of 4 slices each to form a rectangle. Top rectangle with half of egg salad filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 more bread slices in same manner, pressing gently on top and sides to form an even layer.
- Top second layer of bread with half of salmon filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 bread slices in same manner to form an even layer.
- Top third layer of bread with all of cream cheese filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 bread slices in same manner to form an even layer.
- Make layers with remaining salmon filling, remaining 8 bread slices, and remaining egg salad filling in same manner, ending with egg salad. Chill torte, covered with plastic wrap, at least 12 hours and up to 2 days.
- Make topping:.
- In a bowl stir together herbs until combined well.
- Trim sides of torte and sprinkle topping over egg salad layer.
- Serve torte cut into small pieces. Makes 20 half-sandwiches or 40 bite-size quarters.
I have made this torte a few times now and it never fails to impress. I save some of the cream cheese mixture to put around the sides of the torte so it doesn't dry out overnight. And the smoked salmon can be substituted with tinned salmon or tuna. Be sure to make the night before. Mmmmm.