Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Eatingwell.com - posted for ZWT #6! I think it sounds fun... They say to serve it with boiled red potatoes or beet salad...
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons rinsed capers, finely chopped
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 12 slices whole wheat bread or 12 slices rye bread, lightly toasted
- Mix sour cream, lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Combine eggs, dill, onion and capers (if using) in another medium bowl. Stir in half of the sour cream mixture.
- Add trout, celery, parsley, caraway seeds (if using) and pepper to the remaining sour cream mixture.
- To assemble sandwiches: Divide the egg mixture among 4 slices of bread. Top with bread, then spread with the trout mixture. Top with the remaining bread. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Made as written for ZWT6, it was really fun to find this recipe & make it for my lunch. Braudterta is the Icelandic word for this popular triple-decker sandwich, but your recipe is definitely a cut above the norm for the genre. IMO the zing the lemon zest creates that difference ~ not at all subtle, just pleasantly prominent. It was paired with Recipe #372527 by Deantini & made for a very filling & tasty lunch. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. :-)
Excellent sandwich! What's not to love about up-scale egg salad and trout salad? I basically winged the amounts on ingredients because I wanted to scale down to 1 sandwich but couldn't as the yield on the recipe is for only 1 sandwich (although the recipe makes 4 sandwiches). That said, everything worked out just fine, and DS and I each enjoyed half for lunch today.