Prep 3 hrs 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Get a little taste of summer in the depths of winter - a graham cracker sablé crust filled with semisweet chocolate ganache, topped with bruléed marshmallow meringue. Adapted from a recipe by Jenny McCoy at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/bE7ezn
Graham Cracker Sable
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate (or use chips) or 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (or use chips)
- 2 large egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split and seeded
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- In a stand mixer with paddle, cream together butter, brown sugar and honey, on medium speed until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. In another bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients, one large spoonful at a time; mix until fully combined, about 2 minutes. Place dough on a square of plastic wrap and pat into a 1"-thick disc; wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325°F Roll chilled dough out to 1/4" thickness. Using a 1-1/2" biscuit cutter, make 50 discs; place each into a 1" tart ring. Trim excess dough from edges and place tart shells on baking sheets. Bake until light golden brown, about 9 minutes. Place baking sheets on wire racks and let cool completely. Remove tart shells from molds and set aside.
- Bring cream and milk to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Place chocolate and butter in a large mixing bowl. As soon as dairy boils, pour over chocolate and let stand 1 minute. Whisk until smooth. Pour ganache into tart shells, filling them completely. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- In a very clean stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg whites on low speed until just beginning to froth. Add 1 tbsp sugar and vanilla seeds. Meanwhile, combine remaining sugar, corn syrup and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture reached 236F, about 4 minutes, swirling pan about once a minute to mix. Increase mixer to medium-high speed and pour syrup into bowl in a very thin stream. Continue to whip until thick and glossy, and cooled to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Place meringue into a pastry bag with a small pastry tip. Pipe a small dollop of meringue onto each tartlet. Broil the top of the meringue with a small hand-held torch just before serving.