Recipe by Shannon Holmes
Based on one of Chef Deb's recipe for muffins and the base muffin recipe I use. Frozen fruits can be used.
- 1⁄2 cup pureed very ripe banana
- 1⁄4 cup pureed ripe peeled and pitted peach
- 1⁄4 cup pureed ripe strawberry
- 1 cup flaked cereal (I use Smart Start)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease either 6 large or 12 small muffin cups.
- Puree the fruits with a stick blender and stir in cereal, oil, applesauce and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl, cut in the margarine to resemble course crumbs.
- Stir in the vanilla, water and the apple juice concentrate in the cereal mixture.
- Place the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add flour mixture to the cereal mixture.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Divide the crumble mixture evenly among the muffins.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes on a cookie rack, remove from pan and cool completely.
- Place in a towel lined Tupperware and freeze after 1-2 days.