Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from a "Farming in BC" newspaper. It's the Family Favourite Recipes by Pauline McDonald. I've used my own pumpkin I grew in my garden and with this recipe it is the best pumpkin pie I have ever tasted.
- Line a deep nine-inch pie pan with pastry and flute the edges high as the filling is generous.
- Chill the crust approximately 20 minutes in the freezer while you prepare the filling. The cooling of the pastry helps to prevent a soggy bottom.
- Preheat over to 450°F.
- Mix the can of pumpkin, salt, spices, and brown sugar until well blended.
- Beat the eggs lightly and add the cream or evaporated milk and then beat.
- Stir the egg mixture into the pumpkin mixture and add the scalded milk and stir until just blended.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled pie shell.
- Bake in hot 450 F oven for 25 minutes, then reduce oven heat to 350 F and bake for 35 minutes longer or until done.
- If you wish to use fresh pumpkin from the garden proceed by peeling pumpkin, cut it in thin slices and put in a heavy saucepan with water to cover over low heat. Cook slowly until all the water is absorbed. Stir often when the water is almost absorbed to prevent sticking. Mash and set aside to cool.
Very nice and creamy, melt in the mouth pie. Delicious!!
Made this for a weekend dessert with excellent results. Other then using a touch different baking times (ovens vary) I made as posted - it has the old fashioned taste one wants for that Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie - yes it's already in my Holiday Cook Book! Thank you Kansas it's one of the best I've tasted.