Recipe by Mille®
Preparation requires a little extra work, but the end result is worth it.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
Nice recipe. For more flavour I added finely chopped jalapeno & garlic peppercorn spice also. I ran out of oats so I sub'd in bran/wheat germ. I liked all the vegys in the loaf, thanks for sharing.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 4 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Angostura low-sodium worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 1⁄2 ounces quick-cooking oats
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 dried thyme leaves
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 habanero pepper, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Sauté mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, jalapeno and green pepper until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté one minute more.
- In large mixing bowl, combine beef, oats, 2 tbsp.
- tomato paste, egg, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme and pepper.
- Add vegetable mixture from skillet and combine thoroughly.
- Put mixture in loaf pan.
- Bake one hour, basting with 4 oz tomato sauce after 30 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.