Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This pie is the one to make for special occasions. It takes a bit of time, but is well worth the effort.
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 6 ounces vanilla chips (1 cup)
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat oven to 450.
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions for one-crust baked shell using 9-inch pie pan.
- (Refrigerate remaining crust for a later use.) Bake at 450 for 9-11 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; mix well.
- Gradually stir in water, lemon juice and egg yolks; blend well.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in margarine and lemon peel.
- Transfer 1/3 cup of hot filling to small saucepan; cool remaining lemon mixture 15 minutes.
- Add vanilla milk chips to hot filling in small saucepan; stir over low heat just until chips are melted.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add melted vanilla milk chip mixture; beat until well blended.
- Spread over bottom of cooked crust.
- Spoon cooled lemon mixture over cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until set.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe or spoon over pie.
- Garnish with toasted almonds.
- Store in refrigerator.
Made this to go with our Easter Dinner. It is a bit time involved but fairly easy. Well worth the effort in taste and presentation.
This pie was very good but set up rather quickly, making the second layer really difficult to spread on top. Next time I might try it with cook n serve lemon jello instead of the first six ingredients and go from there. Thanks for posting!
This is a very special pie. So rich, so flavorful, so luscious. I had to send this pie in with my husband when he went to the office today, so that I wouldn't eat the whole thing myself! A great one to make for special occasions. Thanks.